Student Employment Positions
International Peer Mentor and Orientation Leader – Center for International Education
The International Peer Mentor program offered by the Center for International Education is designed to help incoming new international students by pairing them up with experienced current Salem State students who will welcome and guide them as orientation leaders, and act as a mentor to provide extended first-semester support. International peer mentors have the power to make a positive and lasting difference in the Salem State international community and develop great leadership and résumé-building skills in the process.
Peer Mentors will work for the Fall 2023 International Student Orientation from August 21 – Sept 2 (20-29 hours per week). During the Fall semester, peer mentors will work up to 2-5 hours per week. The position can be renewed for Spring 2024 semester.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Actively participate in all orientation training, preparation, and event-related activities
- Assists incoming new international students in making a successful transition to Salem State, and helps them acquire cultural knowledge, make new friendships, and understand the campus resources available to them.
- Leading students on tours and trips around campus and Salem
- Engage with the students in one-on-one as well as in group settings by attending events and programs offered during orientation and throughout their first semester.
- Offer advice and insights about academic, social, and cultural life at Salem State to help new students ease the transition into the Salem community.
- Meet with assigned international students mentees once per month for social and conversational purposes in an informal setting.
- Serve as a direct contact for 3-7 international students. They can participate in activities such as meals, shopping, campus events, and more.
- Attend CIE events like International Coffee Hours, and regular meetings with the IPM Group and CIE staff.
A current (undergraduate or graduate) international student or student interested in international education and global events; incoming new students who arrive in summer 2023 or later are not eligible for this position. Minimum GPA of 2.5 or higher at the time of application and selection – must be in good academic standing. Must be enrolled for Fall 2023. Must be available to work for international student orientation (August 21 – Sept 2).
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Awareness about learning styles, group dynamics, and cultural sensitivity
- Ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Enthusiasm for learning about different cultures and sharing your own experiences and perspectives to help new students
- Knowledge of Salem State campus
- Knowledge of Salem State on and off campus resources
- Knowledge of the Salem community and nearby areas
- Proficiency in a language other than English (optional)
- Problem solving and critical thinking
- Public speaking, one on one, and group facilitation?