Student Employment Positions
Tutor I – Center for Academic Excellence
A peer (student) tutor helps other students discover their most appropriate method of organizing and assimilating a body of material. Further, a peer tutor provides assistance, which leads to independent learning by the student. The tutor serves as a facilitator, helping the student discover their own methods and abilities, which leads to their academic success.
Weekly hours vary depending on demand for tutoring in your subject(s). Tutors are required to make themselves available a minimum of 4 hours per week on their calendar in Navigate. Weekly tutoring may not exceed 20 hours.
Peer tutors will be able to tutor on campus (in person), online, or both unless we are directed otherwise.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Help students organize and assimilate academic material with a positive, supportive attitude.
2. Show sensitivity to individual differences and learning needs.
3. Able to participate in all required (paid) tutor trainings (either online or in person).
4. Available at least 4 hours per week when tutoring is available
5. Actively check student employee e-mail for appointments
6. Required administrative procedures: Accurately track tutoring hours and visit notes on Navigate; send online tutoring link to students when you have online tutoring appointments.
7. Participate in (paid) supervision meetings with the Coordinator of Academic Services
8. Maintain a professional demeanor, which includes keeping and showing up on time for appointments, and maintaining an appropriate tutoring relationship with tutees.
1. Go to your Navigator, click on "Student Resources" and then "Apply to be a peer tutor"
2. If you meet the qualifications, and there is a need for tutors in your subject area, you will be contacted by the Coordinator of Academic Services.
3. Once contacted by the Coordinator of Academic Services, students must complete an interview and have at least one reference from a Salem State University professor in the area you wish to tutor.
4. Tutors who are selected by CAE must be approved by Human Resources and must complete required Tutor Training in order to begin tutoring.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Must be a student of sophomore status or higher (completion of at least one semester at Salem State University, preferred).
- Must have received a grade of “B” or higher in the course you wish to tutor.
- Must be in good academic standing
- Ability to work/assist students in a group setting (for approved group tutoring)
- Successful interview and recommendation from faculty from discipline student wishes to tutor in
*Please note that in order to be able to tutor online, tutors will need access to a laptop/desktop with video and audio capabilities.