Student Employment Positions
Peer Mentor II – First Year Experience
The 2022-2023 Student Transition & Engagement Program (STEP) Peer Mentors will have two distinct responsibilities. The first is to assist mentoring a group of roughly seventy-five Pell Grant-eligible first year Salem State students. The second is to provide general support to the operations of STEP such as event planning, program communication, mentor professional development, student success initiatives and local and regional outreach.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Mentor up to 10 first year students by meeting one-on-one, calling, texting, emailing and communicating on social media to discuss various aspects of the college transition
- Encourage and facilitate mentor group events to build mentee-to-mentee connections. They should be educational (study groups, attending a lecture, visiting a museum) and/or social (dinner out, group movie night, shopping outing, etc.)
- Fulfill responsibilities associate with your assigned STEP administrative area or subgroup (communications, professional development, leadership development, event planning, and 1st-generation)
- Meet weekly with STEP coordinator, bi-weekly (or as needed) with your mentees coach, and weekly as a STEP staff. May also have additional scheduled meetings associated with subgroup responsibilities.
- Attend three separate day-long trainings in April, August/September and January (REQUIRED)
- Other tasks as assigned
*Returning mentors (STEP Peer Mentor II) have the added responsibility of mentoring and guiding an assigned 1-2 first year mentor(s) usually associated with subgroup assignments. (STEP Peer Mentor I).
- Ability to be a positive role model
- Working knowledge of the resources and programs available at SSU
- 3.0 or higher GPA and good academic and judicial standing
- At least one semester of participation in STEP
- The STEP Peer Mentor application (HERE)
- One general reference from a professor, advisor, employer, coach, etc. (HERE)
- One reference from your STEP peer mentor (HERE)
A group interview and an individual interview with STEP Coordinator and Success Coaches