Student Employment Positions
Safety and Sustainability Intern – Facilities
Assist the Facilities Department with various tasks including inspecting fire extinguishers, water bottle refill stations, recycling and trash signage, and supporting additional safety and sustainability initiatives. This is a great position for someone who gets bored sitting at a desk and might be interested in a career in environmental health and safety.
The intern will be trained extensively and will learn to file work orders if various issues are observed during their time in campus buildings. This is an in-person position and will require traveling across campus and going into all campus buildings. Note that if campus operations were to move online, this position will become remote and the duties will be changed to supporting the tracking of safety and sustainability initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Walk throughout specific campus buildings to inspect fire extinguishers.
- Conduct recycling audits and ensure that recycling and trash signage is in place and appropriate.
- Hang posters.
- Assist in developing safety and sustainability communications.
- Monitor water bottle refill stations.
- Support tabling on sustainability initiatives, if needed.
- Perform special projects and other duties, as requested.
- Science major or minor preferred but not required
- Strong interest in sustainability preferred
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel
- Excellent written and verbal communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Have a strong interest in supporting sustainability and safety on campus
- Ability to work independently
- Extremely detail oriented
- Familiarity with campus buildings a plus but not required
- Federal Work Study award is required for this position
How to apply: Interested students should forward a letter of interest and a resume to Tara Gallagher at firstname.lastname@example.org. They should note the following:
- Anticipated major/minor and any science or sustainability courses they have taken or will be taking
- Explanation of why they are interested in sustainability and environmental safety