Student Employment Positions
LEO's Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Internship (Virtual) – Center for Civic Engagement
Lynn Economic Opportunity (LEO) is a community action agency in Lynn that works to better the Greater Lynn community through resources and services that provide opportunities for children, families, and individuals to thrive. LEO offers free tax assistance through the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program to households with an annual income less than $56,000. Filing taxes can be difficult, time consuming, and costly which is why LEO provides free tax preparation and filing to our community to alleviate the stress of the tax season. No previous experience is required as all interns will receive free IRS tax preparation training, with support from LEO staff. You will have the opportunity to gain extensive tax filing experience and build transferable skills to supplement your major by gaining hands-on experience with financial assistance. In addition, you will help tax dollars stay in the community and in turn, build a strong local economy.
Weekly Hours & Location:
- Interns are asked to work a minimum of 2 hours/week, and a maximum number of hours at your preference depending on your work-study award.
- Ability to work from January 25 to April 2021 is preferred, hours are flexible
- All duties and responsibilities can be completed remotely, no in-person activities are required. However, if you would like to report to work in-person, LEO’s offices are located at 156 Broad St, Lynn, MA 01901. All interns participating in in-person work are required to adhere to CDC guidelines and are subject to being switched to fully remote work should LEO’s organizational policies change.
- Ayesha Reyes De La Cruz; LEO’s Assistant to the Chief Program Officer; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kate Adams; Assistant Director of the Center for Civic Engagement; Email: email@example.com
Please send a resume (no cover letter needed) to Ayesha Reyes De La Cruz at firstname.lastname@example.org to apply for the position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Screening taxpayer clients to determine the type of assistance they need and confirm they have the necessary documents to complete their tax returns
- Providing free language interpreter services to customers who are not fluent in English
- Completing and successfully certify in tax law training, including the use of electronic filing software, to provide free tax return preparation for eligible taxpayers
- Other tasks as assigned by VITA staff
- Interest in working with immigrant and/or low-income clients in a non-profit environment
- Has a client/customer first approach with strong attention to details
- Complete all free IRS training requirements
- Bilingual preferred, but not required