Student Employment Positions
Public Relations Intern – President's Office
Salem State University’s Public Relations department is seeking Undergraduate & Graduate level students actively pursuing a degree in communications to join our 2018 Spring internship program. This full semester program will expose interns to the day-to-day activities of the public relations department. The public relations department’s goal is to ensure the intern learns practical on-the-job skills and receives training in management skills, verbal/written and organizational skills, build and develop relationships, and develop skills relevant to a career in public relations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides administrative support and assists with special projects as assigned.
- Assists in writing press releases and media advisories, coordinating public relations efforts for end of year ceremonies, and materials distributing to proper media contacts, as needed.
- Compile and develop media lists
- Handle media follow-up phone calls and emails
- Search various news outlets daily, if needed, to compile news clips list with a concentration in higher education
- Conduct research for various projects
- Research specific projects to create news clips lists specific to various topics
- Update expert source book by conducting research and speaking with faculty members and staff
- Produce web content, including, but not limited to, feature stories, profiles, press releases, and calendar items
- Though work outside of the hours specified will not be required, some degree of email checking will be needed so as to ensure a media request does not go unnoticed and can be forwarded to a member of the public relations office to ensure timely handling of the request. Time spent off the clock can be discussed with the supervisor.
- Provides assistance at special events including drafting talking points.
- Assists with commencement preparation.
Currently pursuing an undergraduate/graduate degree in communications, English or related field.
- The internship position requires weekday availability of at least 12 hours per week, with flexible scheduling between the hours of 9 am-5 pm. The ideal candidate will have availability three days a week, for four hours per day, preferably in the morning.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Prior administrative experience with proficiency in the MS Office Suite
- A desire to learn
- Ability to handle sensitive information while maintaining a high degree of confidentiality
- Strong initiative and problem solving skills
- Ability to multitask
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Extremely detail oriented, organized and self-motivated/flexible
Submit resume and two (2) writing samples to Kimberly Burnett at firstname.lastname@example.org by November 24th
For those students qualifying for the position, Ms. Burnett will reach out via email.