Student Employment Positions
Collins Middle School Course Leader – Center for Civic Engagement
During the 2017-2018 Fall and Spring Semesters, 20 SSU students will lead two 90-minute mini-courses for 10 weeks at Collins Middle School (29 Highland Ave, Salem). There are approximately 4 additional hours per week to be spent on lesson plan prepping and reflection.
SCHEDULE: Mondays and Wednesdays, 2:00 pm – 3:30 pm.
Session 1: September 25 – December 13
Session 2: February 26 – May 24
- Use curriculum and lesson plans already developed and tested. (SSU students may adapt the curriculum.)
- Onsite supervision provided by LEAP staff and Collins’ teachers
- Community professionals can serve as guest speakers or hosts for field trips.
- SSU students will assist in keeping attendance and surveying Collins’ students.
- Junior, senior or post baccalaureate status.
(Exceptions for students with prior work experience.)
- Open to all majors.
- Must be self-disciplined and self-motivated.
- Depth of knowledge to teach particular subject matter.
- Commitment to two days of teaching preferable, but we will consider students who can only do one day.
- Reliable transportation needed.